Monday, June 13, 2011

Military Monday-Another VanBilliard Mystery

Yesterday, while I was looking for the VanBilliards on Find A Grave I found someone I have no idea who they are. It is Clare D. Vanbilliard, PFC U.S. Army. Clare died 10 Aug 1944 and is buried in Brittany American Cemetery, St James, France. On Ancestry I found the WWII Casualty Listing for this person and the U.S. Roster of WWII Dead. Then I did find their enlistment record. This gave me a birth year of 1924 and that they were born in Pennsylvania and enlisted in Allentown. There were some of the VanBilliards in that area.

So this gives me a couple of mysteries. First, I do not know who this person belongs to. And second, I do not know if this is a man or woman. Clare could be short for Clarence, but the Army records that I have found all say Clare. The records do say that Clare was in the 134the Infantry Regiment, 35th Infantry Div. and I do not think women would have been assigned to an Infantry unit in 1944. I could be wrong.

Anyway, I hope I can find out who this person belongs to! Should be fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment