Sunday, March 27, 2011

The Story of Miss Mary McCarry


Mary McCarry was the second child born to Irish Immigrants, Patrick and Margaret (O'Connell) McCarry. She was the first of three? that were born in Connecticut. I have the question because according to the 1900 Census they had 6 children 4 living, and I have only accounted for 5 at this point. The other two born in Connecticut were James Francis (my great grandfather) and Patrick Joseph. I had found that Patrick was born in Thompsonville, CT from his Marriage license and his WWII registration. Then I found that James was born in Waterbury, CT from his Marriage license. So I figured that Mary was born in another town also. I found this clipping while searching on Genealogy Bank. I had known that my Grandfather had an aunt that was in this order, but I had thought it was his mother's sister not his father's. Well after finding this on Sunday, I called the Mission on Monday and spoke to the archivist. She told me that she did not have much on Mary because she was one of the early Sisters, the order was founded by Saint Catherine Drexel in 1891. The records they have did show that Mary's name was Sister Patrick McCarry and that she died 9 Aug 1932 and is buried at the Mission. The records did show that she was born in Naugatuck, CT and was baptized at St Francis Church. Can I say BINGO! They did not have much, but what they had was great! So my next call was to St Francis of Assisi (who happens to be my favorite saint) Church in Naugatuck, CT. After a few missing each other I spoke with the secretary on Tuesday morning. When talking to her I mentioned that James was born in Waterbury and I did not know if he was Baptized there also. She thought he could be since that is the next town over. She told me that she would see what she could find and call me back. Well she called back in about an hour and said she found Mary's record and would send me a copy. She also found James' but I will save that for another time. So on Friday I received this record. To finish this story I still have to get her death and birth records but I am just loving what has happened in just a week beginning with a little newspaper clipping.

So don't overlook the little mentions you might find in a clipping, you never know what it could lead to!


No comments:

Post a Comment